Re: Domain Names as observed (was: [ga] Quorum and Definition)

At 06:32 26/06/01 -0400, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

>I think it's important we stipulate that Registrars and Registiries can
>not claim
>ownership of the domain names they lease.
>
>Further, Domain Names are *not* the property of ICANN or WIPO.

Excellent, although stipulation goes a little beyond observation. (can we
observe consensus?)
I will add these to a listing of what Domain Names are observed NOT to be.

>Domain Names are a lucrative global industry.
>Domain Names are assigned according to a process which currently confers
>no legal
>rights to the holders of domain names.
>Domain Names can be bequeathed as heirlooms (witness the recent rise of baby
>domain names).
>Domain Names can determine the potential for success in an online venture.
>
>.... That's about all I have time for this morning.  I'll add some more later.

Thanks, Sotiris.
The growing list will appear at www.idno.org/domainnames.htm

--Joop--
Founder of the Cyberspace Association.