Domain Names as observed (was: [ga] Quorum and Definition)

At 16:34 25/06/01 +0200, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

>I believe that there has never been a public resource that has had a value
>assigned to it by decision of a discussion body, where that decision has
>had any significant effect.

So, by observation you conclude that we are talking about a public
resource. I can agree.

>The significance of a domain name comes from its use, and the use of other
>domain names. We need to observe, not to assign.

Agreed.
Collectively we are in a good position to observe. Our observations can be
helpful in the policymaking process.
Let's start making our observations and record the results on a dedicated
website.

Let me kick it off. There are hundreds of aspects to Domain Names, so this
is intended as a start only.

Domain Names are a Public Resource (Harald)
Domain Names (at least those registered by end-users) are Private Property
(Sotiris, Joop)
Domain Names are subject to lease contracts with registrars.
Domain Names are a mnemonic aid for web site location.
Domnain Names can be a mnemonic aid for an IP address.
Domain Names are a mnemonic aid (as MX record) to address an Individual or
Organization via email.
Domain Names are a unique identifier of an Internet presence.
Domain Names can appear in thousands of links embedded in web sites and
thus acquire economic value for the registrant.

Domain Names can be listed as Assets on companies' balance sheets.
Domain Names can be ordered sold to satisfy creditors.
Domain Names create wealth.

Domain Names can be used as vehicles of  on-line (free) "Speech".
Domain Names can create copyrights.
Domain Names can be used to establish, re-inforce or infringe on Trade Marks.

Domain Names give independence from ISP's

..........someone please continue

Joop Teernstra LL.M.,
councillor
InternetNZ