Re: [ga] Motion to Condemn the Propsed "theft" of the .BIZ tldby ICANN

Jefsey Morfin wrote:

> Dear Sandy,
> there are three different things here.
> 1) a consensus about the need of a global name space policy to be draft.

Certainly we need to discuss name space policy. That's what the GA is for.

However, I doubt that currently, or anytime soon, we have the consensus
required for a clear policy formulation. Documents setting out various
non-consensus views are certainly possible, but it is not clear that we
need more of them :-).

Some one might even tackle writing a document giving a statement of the
issues without embracing any particular solution. That would be tricky.
I'm not sure how useful it would be.

> I suppose you do not agree that the "historic" iCANN policy on the
> matter is to be drafter by Lynn alone.

No, though I do feel he's made a fair statement of that policy.

> The consensus is not on the policy but on the
> need to discuss it. At least I hope so since for three months every thing
> is made to impeach that?
>
> 2) a vote of the Members of the DNSO about a political move. There is no
> consensus reasearch. This is only a motion to be voted. Like we voted last
> year against the Cybersquatters? How can you oppose a vote?

As I said, without consenus the vote is pointless.

If we were a parliament of some sort, composed of elected representatives
of the net.community, voting would make sense. For a self-selected body
composed of whoever knows about ICANN and cares enough to be here, it makes
none at all.

Perhaps you've encountered the terms 'bolshevik' and menshevik'? They
originally meany 'majority' and 'minority', but acquired another meaning
when Lenin's faction won some vote at a party congress and began using
the labels for themselves and their opponents. Having a vote when there's
no consensus might encourage use of that sort of propaganda manouevre
here.