Re: [ga] What makes a corporation?

Bruce James wrote:
To join the Business Constituency of the Domain Name Supporting Organization
(DNSO) of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)

 http://bc.dnso.icann.org/

/Bruce

Thank you, Bruce, for some useful information.  It seems, however, that I may
have over-assumed, i.e., that the DNSO even has a set of definitions for the
various constituencies. If it does, would someone please point me to it?  I see
it good to have this business constituency, since all of its adherents will have
positions with regard to such matters as e-commerce, security as to financial
transactions on line, and so on, that may or may not have anything to do with
domain names.  However, I had got the notion from somewhere that there was
a constituency specifically centered on the interests of the large corporations
that have lots of trademarks that they would use in the battle over domain names.
If there is not one, there ought to be -- some adherents of the business constituency
would also fall into that class, some peanut-sized outfits like my own would not.
As one of the responses on this subject pointed out, on some issues the "small
businesses" will see eye-to-eye with the large ones; on other issues, particularly
the TM/DN hassle, they will be quite incompatible.  The business constituency
evidently being an accomplished thing (based on a quick glance at the site given
above), I'm suggesting that there be two constituencies that specifically take the
two sides of the TM/DN hassle, and let the battle begin. I am identifying one of
those as being the dominating TM owners, the other side as being individuals
and small businesses or whoever that oppose such things as the UDRP and the
Anti-Cybersquatting Protection Act, abominations if there ever were any (which
indicates which constituency I would join!). It is the situation which permitted
those abominations to come about, I believe, that has led to the currend demand
by individuals, e.g., the IDNO, to demand a greater voice in Internet affairs.

The issue, of course, is whether the present structure is such that "constituencies"
are simply ghost-like wraiths that ineffectively float about the real action; there is no
actual need for any constituency for dominating TM owners because the system is
already locked in to their advantage. Is that what we have here?

Bill Lovell