Re: [ga] TRADE MARKS & IP

At 11:17 pm +1000 4/28/01, Patrick Corliss wrote:
>Trade Marks & IP:  To consider and recommend policy improvements in relation
>to the use of domain names as a speech mechanism including, but not limited
>to, its use for advertising, promotion, protest and criticism particularly
>where such use may infringe on the rights or interests of other parties such
>as trade-mark holders.
>
>POSSIBLE AGENDA
>
>(1)    UDRP
>Definition of "cybersquatting".
>Relationship to "trade mark law".
>Common Law Trade Mark Rights.
>Are domains property?
>Dispute procedures & proofs.
>Pattern matching to show "bad faith".
>Speech - generic and protest words.
>Reverse domain name hijacking.
>Review of systemic faults or failures.
>Accountability of arbitrators etc.

Please add.

Confirmation of loss of "rights" to domain name of previous registrant when
they fail to pay renewal fee

Posting of complaint and response in their entirety to prevent arbitrators
from ignoring or changing evidence

Requirement for ICANN to police providers supplementary rules to ensure
they do not contravene UDRP rules or spirit of.

Removal of blanket "no liability" for ICANN and providers.

****

From http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/

"The WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center and ICANN have together been
awarded the 2000 CPR Awards for Excellence in ADR, in the category for
Outstanding Practical Achievement. The award was given in recognition of
the Center's Domain Name Dispute Resolution Service, as a fair, economical
and effective approach to resolving domain name disputes."

Get me a bucket.

--
Andrew P. Gardner
barcelona.com stolen, stmoritz.com stays. What's uniform about the UDRP?