Re: [ga] U.S. Gov't sets date for ICANN-Verisign power deal approval

Dave and all remaining assembly members,

DPF wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:28:54 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >All,
> >
> >The United States Department of Commerce is promising the ICANN it will
> >decide by May 14, 2001 whether to ratify controversial new contracts
> >that would, among other things, allow domain name giant Verisign to
> >retain its powers over .com for at least 6 more years. However, ICANN's
> >decision and request for approval may yet be countermanded as several
> >ranking U.S. politicians seek a formal investigation of ICANN's
> >procedures.
> >
> >Also see
> >http://www.internetdemocracyproject.org/#highlights
>
> The US Govt has also asked NSI for an extension to the existing
> agreements - something we were told here was impossible and would
> never be agreed to.  Who wants a bet that NSI and ICANN agree to such
> an extension?

  NO bet here!  And isn't this and interesting turn of attitude or events?
Yet we heard from Vint Cerf as you indicate that such and extension was
not possible.  I thought at the time that was allot of "Hogwash", but of
course I have seen this kind of "Hogwash" From Vint before.

  It is my hope that DOC and the Committee will take a look at the
archives plainly showing Vint's comments along these lines so that
they can be more aware of the "Hogwash" that the ICANN BoD
is really giving the Stakeholders in stark violation of the White Paper
and the MoU...

> DPF
> --
> david@farrar.com
> ICQ 29964527

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827