[ga] DoC Review of ICANN-Verisign Agreement

Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 1:15 PM (AEST), Bruce James wrote:
Subject: [ga] Letter from Alden Abbott, U.S. Departmant of Commerce,to M.
Stuart Lynn

Letter from Alden Abbott, U.S. Department of Commerce, to M. Stuart Lynn,
ICANN

http://www.icann.org/correspondence/doc-to-icann-24apr01.htm

Hi Bruce

I know you are monitoring the ICABB website and information like this is
much appreciated.  Thanks you.

The letter says, in part:

"Given the significant issues raised by the agreements, the Department will
need the next few weeks to complete a thorough review to achieve a
comprehensive understanding of their implications for competition in the
domain name market and the security and stability of the Internet. We are
thus targeting May 14,2001 as the date for communicating the results of our
review to you."

As the DNSO General Assembly is familiar with this agreement, it may be that
it would like to provide some form of input to the DoC review.  I'd like to
address the issue of whether such an input would be within the scope of the
GA mandate.  If not, members may wish to make some other form of
contribution to the review.

Patrick Corliss