Re: [ga] U.S. Gov't sets date for ICANN-Verisign power deal approval

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:28:54 -0400, you wrote:

>All,
>
>The United States Department of Commerce is promising the ICANN it will
>decide by May 14, 2001 whether to ratify controversial new contracts
>that would, among other things, allow domain name giant Verisign to
>retain its powers over .com for at least 6 more years. However, ICANN's
>decision and request for approval may yet be countermanded as several
>ranking U.S. politicians seek a formal investigation of ICANN's
>procedures.
>
>Also see
>http://www.internetdemocracyproject.org/#highlights

The US Govt has also asked NSI for an extension to the existing
agreements - something we were told here was impossible and would
never be agreed to.  Who wants a bet that NSI and ICANN agree to such
an extension?

DPF
--
david@farrar.com