Re: [ga] "All roots" (Re: Additional Mailing Lists)

Joe Kelsey wrote:

A really excellent post, all of which (bar a nit or two) I agree with, but
I'll snip here to emphasize key points.

> Patrick Corliss writes:
>  > Can you be specific, please, not necessarily by answering Kristy's
>  > post but by stating why you think there are no policy implications
>  > for alternative roots?
>  >
>  > In other words, if you are saying the subject is not worthy of
>  > discussion then why is much of this list taken up with discussing it?
>  > As I said, it would free up the main list.
>
> The subject is not worth discussing because there can never be an
> accomodation with the so-called "alternate" roots. ...
>
> There is nothing to be gained by re-hashing ...
>
> There is absolutely no reason to believe that ICANN will ever change
> their position,

Right. Also, it is questionable whether there's any reason believe they
should even consider it.

> no matter how many so-called "alternate" root
> sympathizers manage to yell and scream ...
>
> It is off-topic because there is no new information to add to a subject
> which everyone has already made up their minds on.

Is there anyone here who has not made up their mind yet? If so, do you
have questions?

> Every single person who is calling for the discussion has a vested
> interest in seeing one or another of the so-called "alternate" roots
> succeed, probably because they have some monetary stake in it.

Methinks this may be overstated. Certainly "many". My guess would be
somewhere between "most" and "nearly all", but I'm not sure your "every
single" is justified.

> Everyone else thinks that there is absolutely nothing to discuss because
> the so-called "alternate" roots have always been free to publicize their
> own private namespaces

That's the key point. Anyone is free to build a private space with its own
root, always have been, always will be.

However, that does not affect the Internet root. There can be only one of
those. ICANN is currently responsible for it.

> and they have always been free to promote their views in every other forum
> they want, especially in the commercial marketplace, the only forum that
> matters.

Yes. Is there any significant evidence of success?