Re: [ga] Call for a Working Group

At 04:28 PM 4/13/01 -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:
>However, those independent operators very clearly have been operating
>entirely independently for up to 4 or more years, making assignments
>without any coordination with IANA/ICANN.
>
>This demonstrates clearly that the namespace they work with is independent
>of the one that IANA/ICANN works with.  Hence there is no collision.

Hi Dave,

Most of those "independent operators" have tried time and time again to
work with the system and become approved by IANA/DoC/ICANN (or whoever
happened to be controlling the DNS at the time). They have continually met
with resistance from a group of "insiders" who feel that it is their right
to control the root. Check out this archive from 1996 -
http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/current/date.html (you even have a post on
here).

Almost every time the opportunity comes up for the "independent operators"
to petition IANA/ICANN for "official inclusion" in the A-root they run up
against a brick wall. It is one excuse after another...pick one: separation
of registry / registrar,  finances, confusion of the public, IP and
trademark, etc, etc...

They "clearly have been operating entirely independently" but, you cannot
say that they did not try. Time and time again they have tried to get an
answer to what the "official" procedure is for getting recognized by the
governing-body-du-jour. The only reason that they are considered
"independent" is because companies and organizations like NSI, VeriSign,
WIPO, CORE and JDRP are intent on keeping them out.

I still feel that there needs to be an officially recognition of the
alternative roots by ICANN. One day they are going to wake up and find that
they are suddenly the minority. In case you haven't noticed: the media,
Congress, and the Net users around the world are not particularly thrilled
with ICANN at the moment. The only ones who seem happy are Afilias, Joe
Sims, Louis Touton, Michael Roberts, and VeriSign.

Regards,

Kendall