Re: [ga] Call for a Working Group

At 05:16 PM 4/13/2001, Kendall Dawson wrote:
>Most of those "independent operators" have tried time and time again to
>work with the system and become approved by IANA/DoC/ICANN (or whoever
>happened to be controlling the DNS at the time).

Some have participated in discussions, for awhile.  Nothing more.  In case
you have not noticed, the delay in adding gTLDs has not be the fault of
IANA or ICANN.  The process became increasingly politicized -- involving
governments and their posturing representatives -- and that has forced delay.

Most of the independent folks gave up rather quickly and just decided to go
off on their own.  That was, and is, entirely their right.  What is NOT
their right is to come back later and claim that they are entitled to a
special place in the IANA/ICANN root.

>They have continually met with resistance from a group of "insiders" who
>feel that it is their right to control the root.

In these situations the typical use of the term "insiders" is to refer to
whoever is saying no (to you), since you insist they must say yes.  The
term does not have much more substance than that sort of sour grapes.

>Check out this archive from 1996 -
>http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/current/date.html (you even have a post
>on here).

And I was uninvolved in the gTLD debates until being named to the
IAHC.  Yet the term "insider" got applied as soon as the IAHC issued its
draft report.

>Almost every time the opportunity comes up for the "independent operators"
>to petition IANA/ICANN for "official inclusion" in the A-root they run up
>against a brick wall.

The petition is for special privileges.  OF COURSE that is being
ignored.  It SHOULD be ignored.

>  It is one excuse after another...pick one: separation of registry /
> registrar,  finances, confusion of the public, IP and trademark, etc, etc...

None of these has been used as the basis for denying special position to
the independent namespace administrators.

>They "clearly have been operating entirely independently" but, you cannot
>say that they did not try.

To try does not mean that one shouts and jumps up and down for awhile,
imitating nothing so much as a child having a tantrum, and then goes away
claiming that they were treated unfairly.

Sorry, no.  That is only "trying" in terms of trying the patience of those
interested in participating like adults.

d/