Re: [ga] Call for a Working Group

At 01:08 PM 4/13/2001, Kendall Dawson wrote:
>At 11:15 PM 4/12/2001 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
>>However, there is some possibility that, given enough time and some clear
>>guidance, such a group might achieve some consensus points that could
>>bring about a temporary ceasefire...
>
>I agree with Milton on this. The NC should create a Working Group to
>explore this. Introduction of new colliding TLDs (especially .BIZ) should
>be put on hold until this WG has a chance to explore the ramifications of
>alternate or competing roots.

1.  This is not a new topic.  It has been around for years.  Why is it only
being pursued this late, with new ICANN registries about to be turned on?

2.  The debate on this topic, over a period of years, has not produced an
discernible, neither practical nor theoretical.  What is the basis for
believing that anything other than further delay will be the result of this
effort, now?

3.  Why should the independent actions of registration activities of
independent namespaces be of any concern to us?

This is exactly the sort of activity that suggests an interest in endless
debate than in providing users with new TLDs...

d/