Re: [ga] Call for a Working Group

the debate in the past has been among a small group of people, did
not take into consideration aspects beyond the WWW and did not
inlcude the public.  It did not go anywhere because it was almost
totally political and not technical.  Discussions rarely took into
account the entire Internet.  The public was not informed because
it meant little to the average user due to ignorance of the subject
matter.

Well, people are more savvy and the issue is about to impact
millions of people instantly.  It is important for the GA to consider it,
since ICANN is at the heart of the problem by advocating an ostrich-
like and isolationist stance wrt to existing TLDs.

Ignoring the issues beyond simple registrations of domain names is
absolutely outrageous.  It may not have been seen as a major issue
prior to this because the majority of the public has no idea what is
about to happen.

To continue to insist that a situation does not exist just because
you don't want it to exist is foolhardy.  The issue is duplication in
the DNS.  It is serious and more so now that ICANN has determined
that it doesn't matter; that it has a separate name space and that
duplication is just fine and dandy as long as it is not in "their root."

This is so wrong.  You just go ahead and and foster the notion that
nothing will be amiss when email goes haywire, nameservers are a
mess and the internet stabiltiy is affected.

And let's not forget that it is not the "alternate roots" who are
advocating this duplication.  It is ICANN.  I don't know of even one
root manager who would favor deliberate duplication (except ICANN
and new.net).  They all know the consequences of doing so and are
working to eliminate them.  They all also know that there can be
only one registry for a TLD to avoid duplicates.

Delaying tactic?  We've been screaming about duplication since
ICANN began discussing the possibility of accepting applications for
duplicates.  The GA may not have picked up the discussion, but it
has been there.  ICANN has simply stubbornly ignored it.  Not one
word was mentioned at the Melbourne meetings.  It was a non issue
to the BoD.  In MDR, Mr. Kraaijenbrink was insistent that it didn't
matter and that it should be ignored.

You insist that working outside the ICANN framework means just
that and that ICANN should ignore "independents."  Fine.  Let's see
the result.  Let DoC enter a duplicate TLD.  But let's hold them
responsible for the results of doing so, okay?  And let's hold ICANN
responsible for facilitating and suggesting it and not doing anything
to cooperate in the effort to prevent it.

Do I sound frustrated?  Well I am.  It amazes me that this political
hot potato is more important to some than the real issues.

Leah