[ga] Re: [council] Collisions in Namespace

The problem of alternate or competing roots is a highly complex one. I would support the idea of a new, open Working Group being convened on this topic. I say this fully understanding that the debate on this topic often takes the form of a religious war and that it is unlikely that any coherent policy would come out of such a working group soon.

However, there is some possibility that, given enough time and some clear guidance, such a group might achieve some consensus points that could bring about a temporary ceasefire, if not an end, to the war. And I see little downside. At worst, the group will waste bandwidth and time and accomplish nothing. At best, it might come up with some useful ideas. Why not give it a try? The incremental cost of a new mailing list is pretty low.

>>> "babybows.com" <webmaster@babybows.com> 04/12/01 17:26 PM >>>
"Constituencies or GA participants may propose that
the NC consider domain name policies or
recommendations."

As two principles addressed by the White Paper, stability and competition,
have been raised in the course of this debate, and whereas the Department of
Commerce has previously expressed concern regarding any actions which may
lead to the possibility of consumer "confusion", I now ask that the NC
consider the ICANN domain name policy with respect to collision with names
in the alternate root community.