Re: [ga] Question No. 1

Leah and all remaining assembly members,

JandL wrote:

> > Dave and all remaining assembly members,
> >
> > Dave Crocker wrote:

> > > There are some Congress-folk who either do not understand the global
> > > nature of the DNS, or worse, believe that the US Gov't really does
> > > "own" the thing.
> >
> >   It does own the Root structure.  The USG does not own the DNS
> >   however,
> > you are correct to that extent.
>
> It does not own the root structure, but does control the rootzone
> content.

  Hummm?  I think that DOC/NTIA would disagree with this assessment.
More of this below your next sentence.

>  It does own the a-root server (I think) which carries the
> rootzone file.  It's semantics, of course.

  Also the USG owns m-root.server.net.  All Root servers eventually
resolve to A-Root.Server and all other root servers are contracted
out from DOC/NTIA.  SO effectively DOC/NTIA DOES own
the Root server structure and the servers service.  However they
may not actually own all of the hardware (Physical servers).

>  The bottom line is that
> most of the world points to the USG rootzone because it is included
> by default in distributed software.  Now if that were to change
> somehow since most of the software is open source (for Unix/Linux
> anyway) ...
>
> Someone once said that if you do not progress, you regress.
> Nothing stands still.  Change comes whether you want it or not.  So
> it will with DNS, roots, TLDs and how the world utilizes them.  Either
> we all recognize progression or we lose out to those who do.
>
> My opinion, of course. :)

  Mine and our members opinion as well...  >;)

> Leah
>

> > > However the reasoned, responsible view is that the US Gov't is
> > > providing stewardship and oversight for a process that is moving the
> > > DNS (and IP) administrative structure into a long-term,
> > > non-governmental framework.
> >
> >   INdeed true.  And the White Paper and the MoU are the process by
> >   which this
> > is suppose to occur.  And the DNSO and IP administration transition to
> > private industry does not mean that stakeholders, ANY and ALL
> > stakeholders BTW, should be in any way disenfranchised.  However this
> > is not the "Path" that the present ICANN BoD has decidedly taken....
> > Hence, it is becoming increasingly obvious that the present path that
> > the ICANN BoD has taken is not in the best interests of all
> > "Interested Parties" and/or stakeholders....
> >

> > > d/

> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Jeffrey A. Williams
> > Spokesman for INEGroup - (Over 118k members strong!)
> > CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
> > Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
> > E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
> > Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827
> > Address: 5 East Kirkwood Blvd. Grapevine Texas 75208
> >

> > --
> > This message was passed to you via the ga-full@dnso.org list.

Jeffrey A. Williams