Re: [ga] Question No. 1

> Dave and all remaining assembly members,
>
> Dave Crocker wrote:
>
> > At 10:14 AM 4/11/2001, Bruce James wrote:
> > >Everyone and no one has a claim. But the USG thinks it does!
> >
> > There are some Congress-folk who either do not understand the global
> > nature of the DNS, or worse, believe that the US Gov't really does
> > "own" the thing.
>
>   It does own the Root structure.  The USG does not own the DNS
>   however,
> you are correct to that extent.

It does not own the root structure, but does control the rootzone
content.  It does own the a-root server (I think) which carries the
rootzone file.  It's semantics, of course.  The bottom line is that
most of the world points to the USG rootzone because it is included
by default in distributed software.  Now if that were to change
somehow since most of the software is open source (for Unix/Linux
anyway) ...

Someone once said that if you do not progress, you regress.
Nothing stands still.  Change comes whether you want it or not.  So
it will with DNS, roots, TLDs and how the world utilizes them.  Either
we all recognize progression or we lose out to those who do.

My opinion, of course. :)

Leah