Re: [ga] Question No. 1

At 10:45 AM 4/11/2001 -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:
>However the reasoned, responsible view is that the US Gov't is providing
>stewardship and oversight for a process that is moving the DNS (and IP)
>administrative structure into a long-term, non-governmental framework.

The problem with the "non-governmental framework" is that this private
corporation is being used to route around thinks like the Administrative
Procedure Act (APA) and accountability. They can do pretty much whatever
they want without any sort of explanation to anyone.

Professor Froomkin has written a very thorough description of the problem here:
http://personal.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/articles/icann-main.htm

If ICANN is going to be a "non-governmental" steward then the people who
are affected (ie: everyone on the Internet) need to be represented.
Otherwise, if ICANN is not willing to allow representatives, or operate in
an "open and transparent" manner - then the US Gov't needs to take back the
responsibility for stewardship of the DNS. If you are talking about a
private corporation - you can run it however you damn-well please. But,
we're not talking about that - we're talking about something akin to a
public utility -- where everyone has a stake in the service being provided.

Regards,

Kendall