Re: [ga] Question No. 1

Kendall and all remaining assembly members,

Kendall Dawson wrote:

> At 10:45 AM 4/11/2001 -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:
> >However the reasoned, responsible view is that the US Gov't is providing
> >stewardship and oversight for a process that is moving the DNS (and IP)
> >administrative structure into a long-term, non-governmental framework.
>
> The problem with the "non-governmental framework" is that this private
> corporation is being used to route around thinks like the Administrative
> Procedure Act (APA) and accountability. They can do pretty much whatever
> they want without any sort of explanation to anyone.

  Yes.  ANd this seems to me to be a flagrant violation of ICANN's
contracts with DOC/NTIA as well as the White Paper and the MoU.
It should be called on the carpet for these egregious actions..

> Professor Froomkin has written a very thorough description of the problem here:
> http://personal.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/articles/icann-main.htm

  An excellent reference...

> If ICANN is going to be a "non-governmental" steward then the people who
> are affected (ie: everyone on the Internet) need to be represented.
> Otherwise, if ICANN is not willing to allow representatives, or operate in
> an "open and transparent" manner - then the US Gov't needs to take back the
> responsibility for stewardship of the DNS.

  Yes.  Or they need to fire the current ICANN BoD and the DNSO NC
and hold elections that the DOC/NITA will oversee directly.

> If you are talking about a
> private corporation - you can run it however you damn-well please. But,
> we're not talking about that - we're talking about something akin to a
> public utility -- where everyone has a stake in the service being provided.

  Exactly.  More along the lines of a co-op....

> Regards,
>
> Kendall

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827