Re: [ga] Question No. 1

Leah and all remaining assembly members,

JandL wrote:

> <snip>
>
> An SLD assumes SLD.TLD.  Second Level Domain automatically
> includes the Top Level Domain.  It must be unique in the tree at any
> level.

  Exactly right.

> > That said, domain names (SLDs) are not unique in the real sense that
> > even now there can be a given SLD registered under .com, .net, .org,
> > and any ccTLD ... with of course several more TLDs coming soon. If you
> > mean that a domain name is unique when one takes into its account the
> > entire SLD.TLD string, then of course you are correct .... unless you
> > take in to account the fact of all the altTLDs/roots whereupon even
> > that statement is clearly incorrect. And what one has is rather like
> > TV channels where "Channel 7" could be ABC in one city and NBC in
> > another that has a different cable provider ...
> >

> Ah, but NBC is NBC regarless of cable company or channel.  The
> correct analogy for cable companies is that there are not two
> versions of NBC.

  Well actually NBC is a bad example as MSNBC and NBC are two
in the same yet separate.

> That is the problem we must work on.  There should not be two
> versions of a TLD so that you can choose any root and know you
> will see the same "programming" no matter where you point.

  Right!  THat is why we developed SROOTS and BindPlus.  We
complimented this with our own registration system, that essentially
checks other Root structures and Registries to see if other SDL's
for a particular TLD has already been registered or is in use.  If
so the requested registration is denied on that basis and the proposed
registrant is notified immediately at registration time.

> Cable
> companies may choose to include a slightly different lineup of
> channels, but those channels are the same no matter which cable
> companies carry them.  Channel numbers don't mean much in that
> context, but the call signs mean everything.

  To a great degree this is correct.  The exception that comes to mind
is NBC vs MSNBC....  ALthough the call sings are unique, they both
share the same transmission, so to speak that can be "Turned on" or
"Turned off" at the operators desire...

> In the same context, IP addresses can change, but the TLD is the
> same, or should be.

  True.  But one can have secondary IP addresses assigned to
each TLD....

> > From: "Dave Crocker" <dhc2@dcrocker.net>

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827