RE: [ga] withdrawal of candidacy

How does this sound:

(1) Proceed with the voting.
(2) If the margin of victory > # of votes for the withdrawn candidate, then the result is academic.
(3) Otherwise, re-poll.

Kevin J. Connolly
Attorney and Counselor at Law
Robinson Silverman Pearce Aronsohn & Berman, LLP
1290 Sixth Aveue of the Americas
New York, NY 10104
212-541-1066/fax 212-541-1346
This note is not legal advice. If it were legal advice, it would come with an invoice.

Live, like there's no tomorrow.....
     Love, like you've never been hurt.....
          And dance, like no one's watching.

>>> <david@farrar.com> 04/03/01 08:19PM >>>
> Without any comment on votes, given that I endorsed all four candidates to
> ensure that there could be a valid election, I am somewhat concerned.
> Without a fourth candidate, I probably would have worked harder to recruit
> someone to run.  That might be true of others, as well.
>
> This is in no way a commentary on the candidates who are standing, but more
> a comment on other things.  Everyone who is standing has made a considerable
> effort to organize themselves/their work/etc. so they can offer to take on
> the considerable work of chair, c-chair.
>
> We are all obviously learning as we build...

I do not believe one can decline a nomination after voting has begun.  The vote
has to go to its natural conclusion and then a winner is declared.  Now if it
is not Jon then we have no problem.  If it is Jon then he effectively resigns
immediately as the GA nominee to the NC for Chair.

The question then before us is whether we run another election with fresh calls
for candidates.  One can argue this has some merit as some may not have
accepted nomination because Jon was a nominee.

The other option is that as we are fortunate enough to have a preferentialv
 oting system (lowest polling candidate drops off until someone gets 50%+1) one
can re-allocate votes for Jon according to the next preferences and declaret
 hat person the GA nominee for Chair.

I believe that the GA itself has to decide this issue and that a quick polls
 hould be done of whether we wish to re-open nominations *if Jon is the winner*
or just allocate preferentials.  I believe such a vote should be held without
knowing who the 2nd placed candidate is (ie delay the detailed results
publication).

DPF

The information contained in this electronic message is confidential
and is or may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, the work
product doctrine, joint defense privileges, trade secret protections,
and/or other applicable protections from disclosure.  If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this com-
munication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communi-
cation in error, please immediately notify us by calling our Help Desk
at 212-541-2000 ext.3314, or by e-mail to helpdesk@rspab.com