Re: [ga] Last minute changes to Verisign agreements

At 03:34 PM 4/2/2001, Eric Dierker wrote:
>Dave Crocker wrote:
> > Critical comments did not come from "Congress".  They came from a few
> > elected officials in Congress.
>
>Those wold be Congressmen.  If they do not make comments from Congress who
>does?

You do not know the difference between stating that something was from a
person who is part of a group, versus that it was (formally) from the
entire group?

No wonder careful, constructive discussion is so difficult.

> > Elected officials do quite a lot of posturing for their constituency...
>
>Their knowledge is only superficial as to what you deem important.  It is not
>superficial when it comes to reading public support and the protecting the
>publics' rights.

How does an utterly silly claim that ICANN is responsible for controlling
pornography on the net serve to protect the public's rights?

> > And then we have your citing the tiny number of people who go to ICANN
> > meetings "with absolutely no vested interests".  It might be interesting to
> > discover who these people are, since there are so few people at the
> > meetings, and therefore almost no one likely to be there with no vested
> > interest.
>
>Where does you vested interest lie?

So, rather than provide the basis for your claim, you want to turn things
elsewhere, such as raising personal questions about me?

> > However, let's consider these hypothetically ideal observers that you
> > cite.  What is their experience with public decision processes?  What is
> > their understanding of serious operations administration for critical
> > infrastructure services?  How much experience do they have balancing ideals
> > with practical constraints?
> >

>I gather you are saying you do not want anyone who is not frimly
>entrenched and
>thinking along the same lines as you,

Eric, if you are going to distort what I say, please at least use what I
say as the basis.

Better still, try to attend to the questions being posed.  You made some
assertions and their basis was asked.

>You then state;
>"The real difficulty is that hyperbole, personal posturing, personal
>attacks, and
>focus on irrelevant or incorrect details has made it impossible to conduct
>serious, public discussion about serious, practical improvements."
>
>Would you mind stating which deatails are irrelevant?

an example, sure: the popular, irrelevant detail was about the management
policies for .org.

d/