Re: [ga] ICANN not a Governing Body

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Eric Dierker wrote:

> I grow stupid in that I cannot help people understand the area that I truly do
> understand.

Thank you, very much ! I like to be educated.

> Whether we like it or not, the U.S. Government owns the Internet.  I ask all who
> disagree to contact our lawyers, Touton and Sims and ask their opinion and from
> what my lawyer told me they have about 48 hours to get back to you, otherwise
> they are neglectful. Remember we are the clients not the Board.

I do not have to consult a lawyer on this. The fact is, that the USG may *own"
a machine running the root that we currently are pointing at. But.....
we (TLD's) may decide to point to another machine, and then the USG can have
their *intranet* as they like. Dont forget that the net itself is a net of tele-
comlines. And that is certainly not owned by the the USG. And for IP.numbers
your statement is even more funny. Do you really believe that the USG *owns*
all numbers from "0" to "4.294.967.295" ? In that case a lot of say banks around
the world is in big trouble.

> Jefsey, the way you ignore this reality, is dreaming.  Yes your French language
> concepts add to the debate about how Gov and all it's uses are varying.
>
> But we have to deal in reality here, if the USG does not own the resource of the
> Internet, who does?  Are you saying it is like outer space?  Are you saying that
> it is all free enterprise?

See above... The net is owned by thousands of owners of nets.

Regards
Per Koelle
.DK