[ga-full] Re: [ga] Older Registrations

Simon and all assembly members,

Simon Higgs wrote:

> At 02:01 PM 3/27/00 -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:
>
> >On 27-Mar-2000 Christopher Ambler wrote:
> > > There is every reason to recognize those. If for no other reason, then
> > > Jon Postel caused a number of individuals and companies to spend
> > > good resources in time and money based on his request to show working
> > > code previous to process.
> >
> >All I have to say to this is that you should have made sure that he indeed had
> >the authority he was claiming to have.
>
> Jon Postel did have the authority to add new TLDs to the root. The evidence
> is sitting in the root zone right now. His actions were, specifically, as
> head of IANA & contracted to the NSF/USG, to establish the process and
> authority to introduce new TLDs, include the community by garnering
> consensus on how to add non-ccTLDs to the root, and publish the results as
> one or more Internet Drafts. This he did with full authority of the IAB,
> IETF, and IANA, backed up by an NSF agreement.
>
> >You shouldn't get any higher standing
> >at the expense of those who have followed the authorized process because of
> >Dr. Postel's mistakes.  Why should they be penalized for Dr. Postel's false
> >actions?  (Presuming of course that these actions can be laid at his feet,
> >which I am not sure I concede right now).
>
> I would strongly suggest that you not malign the character of the deceased.
> In any case, no-one is asking for a higher standing than others. All that
> is being asked is to continue what was started under IANA's guidance, and
> to participate in the current process. This not an unreasonable request.
> Unreasonable is being denied the chance to contribute today (with the
> lessons learnt under the Postel drafts in hindsight, as well as on the
> other side of the camp during the IAHC attempt).
>
> > > We're not talking about grandfathering here, we're talking about simply
> > > recognizing and acknowledging the facts of history.
> >
> >The history bears out that this process was as unauthorized as the IAHC
> >effort.
>
> Well... today CORE (your "unauthorized registrars") act as registrars, so
> why not let the original TLD applicants act as registries to the
> registrars? Economically this is a very sound move as it creates growth for
> everyone involved, and provides momentum for ICANN.

  We [INEGroup] strongly agree with your suggestion here as well as
potentially augmenting it with additional registries as they come online
and meet some minimal criterion for operation.  I would also add that
a centralized Whois should be re-established as well.

> Best Regards,
>
> Simon
>
> --
> I hope you're taking good notes. 'Coz history will be reported differently.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894