[ga-full] RE: [ga] About GA membership again......

At 12:59 PM 3/27/00 -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:

>On 27-Mar-2000 Simon Higgs wrote:
> > I'd also like to propose that the pre-IAHC work with IANA be recognized,
> > and that an iTLD constituency be created. Constituents can from known
> > contributors to the Jon Postel new TLD/registry drafts, or other new
> > TLD/registry Internet Drafts published during 1996, or are named on the
> > iTLD applicant list that Jon Postel published on behalf of IANA to
> > iahc-discuss. The purpose of the iTLD Constituency is to create new
> > registries that will compete at the registry-level with NSI (currently no
> > competition exists for gTLDs or rTLDs at the registry-level).
>
>There is no reason to recognize those.  None at all.  It would serve no
>purpose
>in this process to recognize claims made in an unrelated and unofficial
>process.

IANA, as keepers of the root zone, recommended that new iTLD applications
be filed following RFC1591 at "hostmaster@internic.net". The
InterNIC/Network Solutions domain name template accepted TLD applications
at the root, and forwarded those requests to IANA.

That is an official and formal process.

Best Regards,

Simon

--
I hope you're taking good notes. 'Coz history will be reported differently.