[ga-full] Re: [ga] Older Registrations

At 02:01 PM 3/27/00 -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:

>On 27-Mar-2000 Christopher Ambler wrote:
> > There is every reason to recognize those. If for no other reason, then
> > Jon Postel caused a number of individuals and companies to spend
> > good resources in time and money based on his request to show working
> > code previous to process.
>
>All I have to say to this is that you should have made sure that he indeed had
>the authority he was claiming to have.

Jon Postel did have the authority to add new TLDs to the root. The evidence
is sitting in the root zone right now. His actions were, specifically, as
head of IANA & contracted to the NSF/USG, to establish the process and
authority to introduce new TLDs, include the community by garnering
consensus on how to add non-ccTLDs to the root, and publish the results as
one or more Internet Drafts. This he did with full authority of the IAB,
IETF, and IANA, backed up by an NSF agreement.

>You shouldn't get any higher standing
>at the expense of those who have followed the authorized process because of
>Dr. Postel's mistakes.  Why should they be penalized for Dr. Postel's false
>actions?  (Presuming of course that these actions can be laid at his feet,
>which I am not sure I concede right now).

I would strongly suggest that you not malign the character of the deceased.
In any case, no-one is asking for a higher standing than others. All that
is being asked is to continue what was started under IANA's guidance, and
to participate in the current process. This not an unreasonable request.
Unreasonable is being denied the chance to contribute today (with the
lessons learnt under the Postel drafts in hindsight, as well as on the
other side of the camp during the IAHC attempt).

> > We're not talking about grandfathering here, we're talking about simply
> > recognizing and acknowledging the facts of history.
>
>The history bears out that this process was as unauthorized as the IAHC
>effort.

Well... today CORE (your "unauthorized registrars") act as registrars, so
why not let the original TLD applicants act as registries to the
registrars? Economically this is a very sound move as it creates growth for
everyone involved, and provides momentum for ICANN.

Best Regards,

Simon

--
I hope you're taking good notes. 'Coz history will be reported differently.