[ga-full] Re: [ga] About GA membership again......

Chris and all assembly members,

  Chris, you have again brought a very good couple of points.  The
most improtant here is the illustration of what is an authorized
"Process" and what is not.  This is not well defined if defined
at all other than what is in the cooperative agreements between
ICANN and NSI, the White Paper, and the MoU.  All of which
it seems fairly evident have been violated on several occasions.
This is most especially true with violations of the White Paper
and the MoU.

  Process has been the weak sister of the ICANN process as it was
with the IANA and the IETF to a degree also in the past.  The NTIA
seems to have carried this forward with ICANN as well.  Hence we
all have heard most especially from Esther Dyson and Mike Roberts
that issues dealing with Process are o little interest to them and this
remains so as the Cairo meeting also illustrated very clearly.

Christopher Ambler wrote:

> > All I have to say to this is that you should have made sure that he indeed
> had
> > the authority he was claiming to have.   You shouldn't get any higher
> standing
> > at the expense of those who have followed the authorized process because
> of
> > Dr. Postel's mistakes.  Why should they be penalized for Dr. Postel's
> false
> > actions?  (Presuming of course that these actions can be laid at his feet,
> > which I am not sure I concede right now).
>
> Name one individual or company that falls into your category of "following
> the authorized process." They will have to state their intention of being a
> registry, of course. If you can't, then your argument is moot.
>
> Also, please define, as you're using it, "authorized process." If IANA had
> no
> authorization to do what they did, then they also could not have created
> any "authorized process." We know that the USG did not create an
> "authorized process" either. RFC1591, if IANA has no authorization, is
> also not an "authorized process."
>
> So, please define the term for me so I can be sure we're talking about the
> same thing.
>
> Christopher

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com