[council]

Re: [council] Conference fees as revenue source

AS Chairman of the Meetings Committee I am pleased to see this discussion take
place. I proposed a Conference fee (which was charged in Singapore) but there
has been resistance to it on many grounds.
1)the cost of collecting,administering,accounting will undercut the value
significantly.
this objection is one that,in my view is real But can be overcome
2)Many people would not be able to afford a 'real' Meeting fee.
I see this as a 'red herring'Those who can afford to come can certainly afford
a reasonable Meeting Fee.However,staggering the fee by country or, allowing
certain
people meeting defined criteria to attend for free or at a reduced
rate,or,allowing people to apply for Meeting Fee exemption ..might answer this
BUT the more complicated the procedure the more labour intensive ,the costlier
and so on.....
3)We wish to encourage broad participation and a Fee could further reduce
attendance and 'squeeze'out those who we want there but couldnt afford it.
I doubt this but the discussions have been 'heated'

From the Committee,s Point of view it would be marvellous if the Community
itself ,as a whole, would debate this issue and reach a consensus.If there is
a willingness,broadly based, to pay a reasonable fee then that certainly would
be considered carefully by the Board as  one method for containing costs while
delivering needed service
Thanks for listening
Best Regards
Jonathan Cohen

--
Shapiro Cohen
Ottawa, ON  Canada

Telephone: (613) 232-5300
Facsimile  : (613) 563-9231

This correspondence is intended for the person to whom it is addressed
and contains information that is confidential, and/or privileged to the
named recipient, and may be proprietary in nature. It is not to be used
by any other person and/or organization.  If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by telephone (collect)
and/or return e-mail.