[council]

RE: [council] Conference fees as revenue source

I fail to see that
> conference fees are a solution to ICANN's funding challenges.

Agreed.  I don't think they have ever been proposed as a method of core
funding.

> On the other hand, it might defray meeting costs themselves.

Exactly.  These meeting costs are not insignificant.

There are many people that attend ISOC and IETF events that are
non-commercial or are funded by the individual.  These events all charge a
meeting fee.  The combination of face-to-face opportunities and email
discussion lists works well for those organisations.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin