[council]

RE: [council] Conference fees as revenue source

Elisabeth, thank you. That was helpful information that many of us may not have recognized.

-----Original Message-----
From: Elisabeth Porteneuve [mailto:Elisabeth.Porteneuve@cetp.ipsl.fr]
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 2:20 AM
To: Council@dnso.org; hfeld@mediaaccess.org; Cade,Marilyn S - LGA
Subject: RE: [council] Conference fees as revenue source

Harald, Marilyn,
All,

We do not have the exact cost of ICANN physical meetings as a separate
item in ICANN financial reports, the last one beeing at:
http://www.icann.org/financials/financial-report-fpe-31dec01.htm
but as far as I recall the numbers are circa $US 50,000 per meeting.
Saving money on physical meetings means saving $US 150-200 thousand
per year, i.e. less than 4 percent of ICANN budget in range
of $US5 million.

On the other hand, meetings fees are an extra $200-300,
and certainly too much burden in the budget of many participants.

The ccTLD group used to request for a voluntary donation fee "at gate",
usually suggested to $100, to cover one day of additional meeting we
held before ICANN physical meetings. More or less half of participants
pay that fees, and over time I noted that one or two give $10 or $20.
It is indeed a barrier.

An additional information - there is 240 ccTLDs Managers,
the biggest scores of participation we had at physical meetings
were in Accra March 2002 (82 ccTLDs present or represented, thanks
to outstanding efforts of Francophonie Agency sponsoring 17 ccTLD)
and in Geneva February 2002 (72 ccTLDs present or represented).
In the real world, which the ccTLDs are from and represent, they
frequently need to add also visa costs and related paperwork similar
to what everybody had to do when traveling to Ghana. I recall in 2000
that the ccTLD Manager from Kazakhstan had to travel 700 miles and spend
some time in the capital city at Almaty, to queue up at the US Ambassy
and eventually had his entry to the US (Marina del Rey meeting) refused,
cf. http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/council/Arc04/msg00453.html
even with help of Mike Roberts:
cf. http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/council/Arc04/msg00454.html
Let not forget that cost as well.