[council]

[council] Petition

VeriSign (the registrar) has finally posted comments to the registrar list
regarding the issue of intra-registrar transfers:
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc01/msg01287.html

The implications of Bruce Beckwith's statement (as noted by Ross Rader in a
follow-up message) are that VRSN will only deal with the registrar's
consensus document (other than voting not to ratify it) if it is pursued as a
consensus policy within the ICANN framework.

I have the following comments to make:

First, I have no reason to believe that the Registrar constituency will be
capable of internally resolving this issue.
Second, only a consensus policy can bind all participants within the ICANN
process.
Third, the registrant community needs this issue resolved in a timely manner.

Please note that our ByLaws state that "Constituencies or GA participants may
propose that the NC consider domain name policies or recommendations."  As a
GA participant, and as one concerned with the need to rapidly resolve an
issue that has impacted registrants worldwide,  I am now formally petitioning
the Council to initiate procedures that will lead to the formulation of a
domain name policy that addresses the issue of intra-registrar transfers.
This matter has been on the table for over three months already without
resolution; it's time to get on with the job.

Best regards,
Danny Younger