[council]

RE: [council] Task Forces and diversity

"I provided 4 candidates lawyers from ccTLD group, from 3 continents,"
TRUE, and we thank you profusely since without your nominees we would not
have had Africa represented.

"nobody else provided such geographic diversity"
TRUE through no fault of the Chairs.

"and the Chairs had choice." FALSE.  If a Constituency gave us only one name
that a NA, we had no choice. Where we had more than one nominee in a
category and a non-NA existed, provided they had the proper skills expertise
we were looking for, we nominated them.  In all cases where we actually had
to make a selection, we conciously chose a non-NA.

The Chairs drafted a terms of reference which you all accepted.  The NC
adopted some procedural rules regarding setting up committees and Task Force
which you all accepted.  As written, it is very clear from the Terms of
Reference and our rules that geographic diversity would not necessarily be
guaranteed.  However, some people who believe it should be required failed
to see that.

Nevertheless, I think Elisabeth's point is a good one, and we can all
consider whether our rules should be changed.  HOWEVER, we are already
behind schedule on the UDRP Review and I would like to be able to begin
discussions with the Task Force.

On a more important note, however, the criticism received seems to infer
that non-NA views will not be heard.  There is absolutely NOTHING that
prevents non-NAs from providing their input to the respective Task Force
member. Moreover, everyone will be able to respond to the questionnaire.  A
good example of this working is in the case of .org.  The IP Constituency
has Guillermo as our representative.  He keeps us all in the loop when there
are things to be commented on.  When he speaks, they are not his personal
views but those of the Constituency.  There would be no difference in those
views if I, a NA were in his place.

In any event, can we please make a decision on this so that the Task Force
can actually begin its work.