[council]

[council] Task Forces and diversity

YJ,

with regard to your proposal to discuss geographical diversity of task forces. This should NOT be necessary. The NC has already voted on the GENERAL point and you will see in our rules of procedure:

3.1 Types From time to time the NC may form sub-groups. These are typically of three types. Each type may form and be responsible for further sub-groups from within their membership. The composition of these groups shall follow the spirit of the ICANN Bylaws with regard to geographical diversity

With regard to the UDRP task force, this is a special task force as foreseen under 3.5 of our rules of procedure:

3.5 Variations Specific variations to the above guidelines may exist within the DNSO rules of procedures, such specific variations taking precedence. Any other variation requires the approval of the NC.

You will recall the NC voted to approve the terms of reference proposed to set up this TF. I believe that the Chair worked hard to embrace geographical diversity but was of course subject to the limitation of the nominees received. In this case I believe diversity has been created in other ways - by the expertise on the issues.

Philip

NC Chair