[council]

[council] Re: Re[4]: [ga] GA position on Verisign contract

William,

>I don't see it as representative of the consensus of the GA.
>
>It implies that the GA thinks a change in the policy for .org IS
>something that should be considered provided that existing registrants
>aren't required to give up their names.

Maybe my perception of the consensus has been wrong, but what I have
registered is a lot of people that were complaining about the possibility
that current .org registrations could have been evicted, but not a lot of
people clearly affirming that the charter of .org shall not be changed.
Moreover, the very fact that people are expressing their worries about the
eviction from .org *implies* that they estimate possible that a charter can
be enforced.

>I haven't seen any such consensus here on that, nor do I think that
>statement is appropriate or reflective of the sense of the GA.

Nowhere I said that there was consensus on changing the charter.
I only stated that, should the charter be changed, there's consensus that
the current bona-fide registrations be kept.
In all fairness, this is what I understood.

Nevertheless, we are now discussing just the VeriSign contract: there will
still be time to discuss explicitely about the possibility of a new charter
for .org, and following that discussion, a straw poll and/or a vote can be
called. Incidentally, my personal opinion is also that the charter shall not
be changed, as I stated in a couple of posts: but my own opinion and the
posts of few other people that expressed similar positions is, IMHO, not
sufficient to call it a consensus. We have enough problems with the people
that estimate that 24 to 2 is not consensus enough, you can imagine the
reactions to a consensus call that was more dubious.

The main message this time was the favour to option A, and the reasons
thereof. This is on record now. The management of .org can be discussed if
option B prevails.

Regards
Roberto