[council]

RE: [council] gTLD CONSTITUENCY

As with the Registrar Constituency, the Registry Constituency has taken the
position that it consists of ICANN-accredited organizations.  We have
adopted this approach for three reasons:

1) While there are quite a few proposals floating around for "registry
industry trade associations" that would include any business that considers
itself a registry, this Constituency is an ICANN DNSO Constituency, whose
principal purpose is to provide input into the ICANN DNSO process.  So,
while the registry industry may well need and get a broad trade association,
we did not feel that the " DNSO Constituency " was the venue for it; and
2) In order to provide some meaningful boundary for the DNSO Constituency,
accreditation is a fairly clear demarcation;  beyond that, things get murky
and fairly debatable; and
3) Whereas the commitment that an organization makes to express interest in
becoming a gTLD registry is limited,  the commitment rises considerably
after accreditation, ensuring the full commitment of the Constituency to the
DNSO's work.