[council]

Re: [council] NCtelecon 21 September 2000, minutes

> personally, i feel that any opinions expressed by any member need to be
more
> explicitly attributed  ( particularly for example  those made by YJ when
she
> referred to hypocracy).  if those are her opinions then they need to be
> attributed to her in a way such as "yj stated that she felt ...xxxx.

OK with me.:-)

> i would also like to say that i do not believe that YJ speaks for the
entire
> GA as a whole but rather for a specific segment. the broad allusions that
> she makes do not necessarily represent those of  many ga members. yj seems
> to forget that members of all constituancies are also members of the ga.
she
> may or may not reflect the views of her constituancy but she certainly
does
> not reflect the views of all the ga.

In principle, Roberto represents GA and I do non-commercial constituency.
However, all the comments made by myself was as a member of review
committee who has to cover not only his/her specific interest group but also
across the constituencies and its related organizations.

I don't think it was beyond the scope.
That's within the scope of the review committee.

Otherwise, how can you review the whole DNSO process?

>  there are numerous people who do not subscribe to the various ga list
(for
> varying reasons including noise etc) so when yj says the ga feels this or
> that she is only reflecting a very small part of the total universe and i
> feel that this needs to be pointed out so that when yj goes " on the
record"
> we as well as the readers know just exactly "who" she is going on the
record
> for.

In this sense, icann itself still represents a very small part of the total
universe, too.
The people we are represent are not the whole WORLD at all.

> based on the comments i made above i personally cannot vote to accept the
> minutes as presented without the specific reservations quoted above.

I think your reservation can be removed.

YJ

> respectfully
>
> ken stubbs
> speaking for himself  and as a member of the council, the registrar
> constituancy and a member of the ga)

DNSO
> [...]
> companies, some
> > of them even charging money for it. Two companies raise problems, first
> being
> > registrar, second marketing registrars.
> >
> > The members of the NC discussed speculations issue, and how to deal with
> > irresponsible practices. They are worried for consumers and general
users
> of the
> > Internet, looking for the way to discourage abuses. Louis reminded that
> one of
> > criteria of selection for new gTLDs is "how you will deal with
> registrations on
> > startup". Paul and Philip volunteered to draft a press release and pass
an
> > information to the newspapers and public using ICANN communication
> channels.
> > (On 29 September the Announcement has been posted at
> > http://www.icann.org/announcements/icann-pr29sep00.htm and released to
the
> > press.)
> >
> > At 14:35 thirteen NC members were attending the telecon, and the agenda
> started.
> >
> > 4. Proxy vote proposal
> >
> > http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20000920.NCproxy-vote.v0.html, Version 0,
> 20
> > September 2000
> >
> > The issue of quorum was discussed, in which situations only physically
> present
> > members count and when proxies are counted. Louis assured nothing is
> explicated
> > in Bylaws. Paul KaneÕs proposal was considered. It was felt that 4 weeks
> for "in
> > communicado" may be a long time, and in the assumption of one NC telecon
> per
> > month, a Constituency may miss a vote for one meeting. Elisabeth
stressed
> out
> > that at some point it is assumed the Secretariat is working 24 hours a
> day. It
> > was agreed the NC would work with Andrew over next week and provide for
> improved
> > version to initial proposal.
> >
> > 5. Business Constituency dues problem
> >
> > The ICC manages the Business Constituency finances. The BC Secretariat
> approves
> > expenses, and the ICC pays. Due to a mistake, the BC annual fees were
paid
> by
> > ICC to ICANN in advance making a negative cache flow, the question was
> whether
> > in such a situation ICANN can reimburse or not. It was felt that the
> common rule
> > prevails, no matter how much sympathy it raises.
> >
> > 6. Minutes from August 17th NC teleconference
> >
> > Unanimous vote of all present.
> >
> > 7. ICANN staff report for status on independent review panel nominations
> >
> > ICANN is awaiting two nominees from the DNSO to the Nomination
Committee,
> which
> > will nominate for an independent review panel (old retired judges, not
> paid).
> > PSO already provided one nominee, ASO will do it on Oct 28 th in
Brisbane.
> > nominees persons shall not have any conflict of interest.
> >
> > 8. Discussion regarding individual outreach and representation
> >
> > Paul Kane suggested as part of outreach program to encourage people from
> Africa,
> > Latin America, and all regions. Patricio noted that a request for
retired
> > judges, familiar with English langue and American rules is quite
> irrealistic.
> >
> > 9. Intake Committee report
> >
> > http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/200008.NC-intake.v4.html, Version 4,
August
> 2000
> >
> > Philip Sheppard reported on Intake Commity progress and timeline. The
> topics of
> > the agenda shall be defined 21 days in advance, the agenda send out 14
> days in
> > advance, and reports 7 days in advance. The Chair has the possibility to
> add
> > last minutes new items.
> >
> > Theresa expressed concerns that an Intake Committee may became a
potential
> > gatekeeper for agenda determination, as well as a group controlling the
> Names
> > Council. The good flow between the GA and NC is essential, and Roberto
> view on
> > this shall be taken into account.
> >
> > Roger warned that the IC may prevent an individual NC member to raise
> business
> > items. Concerns shared by Nii.
> >
> > Erica proposed to adopt the Intake Commitee proposal for the next 3
months
> and
> > then review with experience. The motion was seconded and passed with
> unanimous
> > approval of all present and proxies (Philip, Paul, Theresa, YJP,
Caroline,
> Axel,
> > Katoh, Erica, Nii, Tony, Hotta, Roger, Dany, Zakaria)
> >
> > 10. DNSO Review report
> >
> > http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20000919.NCreview-report.v1.2.html,
Version
> 1.2,
> >
> > YJP initiated the work with a report from her Constituency. Roberto
> Gaetano, GA
> > Chair, used this document as starting point for discussion on ga list.
> Theresa
> > prepared a draft summarizing questions and issues. It is not a final
> document,
> > not reviewed, open for improvements and feedback from the NC. The NC
wants
> some
> > guidance from ICANN staff on how specific the report is expected. The
> degree of
> > representation is limited by a consensus one can get. The review report
> shall
> > provide an evaluation on what was well done, and less well done, with a
> > reasonable consensus on evolution, and proposals the Board should
> consider.
> >
> > The question was raised why a Task Force rather than Working Group
prepare
> the
> > Review report. Such a choice impacts on the issue of Constituency for
> > Individuals, awaiting the decision on creation of Working Group. Roberto
> > reminded the GAÕs motion presented to and recognized by the NC in
> Yokohama, and
> > subsequent decision to merge the issue of Constituency for Individuals
> into DNSO
> > review Working Group. Roberto stressed out that not incorporating the
> issue of
> > Constituency for Individuals creates an additional delay-making
situation
> even
> > worst.
> >
> > YJP stated that the NC is showing hypocrisy. The GA do not believe what
> the NC
> > members are doing, they do not see any kind of trust from the NC. The
> activity
> > is reduced on only election of ICANN Board Director, nothing else. The
NC