[council] RE: Additional note on Cairo study session ==> famous trademark protection

I believe the best way to educate the Board, NC & audience on the subject
matter of Working Group B is as follows. A 30 minute power point
presentation, providing a brief 5 minute overview of trademark law and 25
minutes discussing the hot button topics and where the different factions
within Working Group B stand.

The 5 minute overview of trademark law is important because I personally
believe that Working Group B's policies and procedures are likely to be
challenged in a court of law and therefore must be scrutinized to withstand
judicial review. The issues will be presented sequentially with a matrix
identifying where each position paper, group or constituency stands on that
issue. I envision this entire matrix being reduced to a single two or three
page handout (cheat sheet) for each NC or Board member to have as a
reference resource.

There is a symbiotic relationship between Working Group B and C and I
believe it is best to address these issues collectively. Addressing these
issues individually will only further delay the end result that many are
striving for "the controlled responsible growth of the name space."

On a side note. I have been in discussion with Eric Menge from the Small
Business Administration - Office of Advocacy. Last week they held a
roundtable discussion on Working Group C's report. I participated via
telephone conference and believe that it was beneficial in crystallizing the
points of controversy. Eric plans to have a similar roundtable discussion on
Working Group B's work prior to Cairo to further illicit public comment.