[council] Re: Preparations for Cairo: Study session on new TLD registries

good to see this getting organized. Thanks!

Esther

At 04:34 pm 01/07/2000 -0500, Andrew McLaughlin wrote:
>To the Names Council:
>
>We've begun to plan the agenda for the ICANN Cairo meetings.  Details are
>being posted at <http://www.icann.org/cairo2000/cairo-details.htm>.
>
>The preliminary agenda for the ICANN Public Forum
><http://www.icann.org/cairo2000/cairo-details.htm#agenda> includes
>discussion of the following topics:
>
>     - At Large Membership and elections
>     - Considerations and policies relating to creation of new top-level
>domain name registries
>     - ccTLD delegation and administration policies
>     - ICANN budget for 2000-2001 fiscal year
>
>I want to initiate a discussion with the Names Council with respect to the
>second item:  considerations and policies relating to the creation of new
>TLD registries.  I've already exchanged a few notes with Jonathan Weinberg
>on the same question, and would like to include him on this discussion.
>
>The Board's notion is to hold a "study session" on the question of new TLDs
>as part of the ICANN Public Forum on March 9.  The study session would
>consist of several hours to be set aside for presentations and discussion,
>including structured presentations by people of differing views with
>opportunities for the Board and other attendees to ask questions and make
>comments.  The basic idea is education:  to provide a forum in which a
>broader audience can learn more about the merits of the debate, and about
>the status of the DNSO's consensus-building process.   Because the session
>will be webcast, we hope to raise general public awareness of the issue of
>new TLDs, and to create a useful multimedia archive of the various arguments
>for and against.  Also, it will allow the attending Board and Names Council
>members to get better educated and to review and contribute toward the
>consensus-building process.
>
>Because the question of new TLDs is squarely within the scope of the DNSO's
>current activities, we want to structure the study session in collaboration
>with the Names Council and Working Group C.  Jonathan Weinberg has expressed
>to me his general support for the idea of a public study session on new
>TLDs, and his willingness to help structure a useful and balanced set of
>presentations.
>
>To get the discussion started, perhaps Jonathan might give us his thoughts
>on how the session should be structured (and who might be good presenters).
>
>--Andrew

Esther Dyson			Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
edyson@edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800    --  1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com                    http://www.icann.org

PC Forum: 12 to 15 March 2000, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
Book:  "Release 2.1: A design for living in the digital age"
High-Tech Forum in Europe: October 2000 - probably Barcelona