[council] Re: Preparations for Cairo: Study session on new TLD registries

	[Elisabeth -- I would be grateful if you forwarded this message to
council@dnso.org.  Thank you.]

	One of the things we've accomplished in WG-C has been to distill the
competing views of the community (more or less) into the four broad
positions described in the first four position papers in the WG-C interim
report (<http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/19991023.NCwgc-report.html>).
Those four papers -- written by Kent Crispin, Caroline Chicoine, Milton
Mueller and me -- pretty much cover folks' differing views on the myriad of
issues encompassed within the debates on addition of new gTLDs, and they
each do so in a cogent and clear manner.  I think it might make sense to
begin a study session with an introduction and overview presented by
someone of unquestioned technical expertise (say, Paul Mockapetris).  We
could then do worse than to ask each of those four people to explain their
opinions and rationales.  (If any of them should consider it inappropriate
to participate, someone else could be named in that person's stead.)

	One problem with this approach is that some of the people I've named are
participating essentially pro bono, and don't have employers or clients
paying their expenses.  This means that they may not be able to afford the
trip to Cairo.  I'm not sure of the best way to handle this.

	I agree that it would make sense also to schedule a study session on
famous marks.  I think it would be a mistake, though, to try and roll new
gTLDs and famous marks into one big meta-discussion.  These are two
relatively intractable issues, and if we roll them together they'll be even
less tractable.  I would schedule separate sessions on the two topics.

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
weinberg@msen.com