[council] How to resume (was: Ballot b10)

Dear colleagues,

I am well aware of the fact that we are in a difficult situation and
therefore thought carefully whether and how to comment on the course of the
elections. However I consider it necessary to decisively comment now rather
than risking that we are attacked massively next week.

First allow me a review of the past five days. Don't regard it a flame.

I accepted my nomination to the Names Council because I want to help moving
things. I did not intend to waste my time on discussions about due process
and for the making of behind the scene alliances. This week I spent more
than half my time explaining to many people who usually don't call me nor
send me mail how I make my voting decisions. With some I suprisingly had to
find a need of explaining the several times a day that I won't change my
mind. I do not think I would support a repetition of this.

Our treatment of the question how to avoid possibly lacking support of
individual candidates was not exactly professional either. I will not
repeat what I have already stated on the phone: but some of the "pragmatic"
solutions I have heard so far (from "it doesn't matter" to "the candidates
concerned don't stand a chance anyhow") clearly lack sufficient
professionality.

The course of today was most certainly the highlight of the whole election
process. We have now - for whatever reasons - decided to interrupt the
election. Nobody considered it necessary to inform those that were not able
to participate the whole two hours of the conference call (again: I do have
to work from time to time).

We will continue the neverending story on Monday. I am really not excited
by this idea (also because on Sunday I am going on vacation of over three
days for the first time in more than three years and already see myself
sitting on the beach armed with Notebook and cell phone).

I now would like to - very concisely - list what I am willing to support
and what not.

I am assuming (I don't even know it officially yet but rather heard this
from a non-NC-member, which already says a lot in itself) that the election
round today was interrupted because one of us first sent the correct vote
with the wrong ballot and then the right ballot with the wrong vote.

I will not support that the elections are simply repeated from the
beginning. Nor will I support that the elections are repeated from the
round where the problem came up. Randy said on the phone today (in a
different context, but very fitting in the matter) that he as a US-citizen
lives in a system strongly influenced by rules and that one preferably
should stick to the valid rules - especially when one created them oneself.
To me - and here I would like to argue as a lawyer - it is clear: if an
invalid or incorrect vote was submitted, all those participating have to
live with it. We can and should pity the candidate who didn't receive the
vote he was intended to receive, but that doesn't change the situation.

I.e.:

I expect us to continue where we dropped off. From my view the results of
the last round should be announced as quickly as possible (i.e. within a
couple of hours) and the elections continued. I consider anything else not
acceptable. Insofar we proceed differently I will not participate in the
election (and consider to submit an official complaint to the Board).

Best regards,
Michael

  | Michael Schneider      CEO, AboveNet Deutschland GmbH            |
  |                        CEO, World Switch GmbH                    |
  |                    Founder, Schneider & Schollmeyer Law Firm     |
  |                   Chairman, eco - Electronic Commerce Forum e.V. |
  |                   Director, European ISP Association (EuroISPA)  |
  |                     Member, Names Council of ICANN               |
  | Eschborner Landstrasse 112, D-60489 Frankfurt am Main            |
  | Phone: +49 2242 927027      Michael.Schneider@abovenet.de        |