Re: [council] DNSO Elected Board Members

Richard and All,

At 99/10/04 21:13, Richard A. S. Lindsay wrote:
> Dennis, colleagues,
>
> Just a couple comments on this to wrap up my Monday
> evening...  While I welcome any discussions about what kind
> of people we want on the board, realistically there is still much
> to do, and not much time.  I am not convinced that discussing
> this on a telephone conference call would be effective.  I think
> email might be more appropriate as it would give us time to
> think about this very important issue and share our thoughts.
> Especially for non-native English speakers, email is a better
> avenue I think.
I agree completely.
Such kind of discussion tends to repeat itself and diffuse.
In addition, written English can make me, at least me, more
responsive.

> Another preface, I would hope that all of us already have some
> pretty firm ideas of the kind of person they want serving as
> DNSO ICANN board members.  If someone still believes they want a
> constituency born and focussed board member, I doubt we
> could change their minds now anyway :-)   So here are some
> thoughts:
>
> I certainly agree we don't want our DNSO ICANN Board members
> carrying a single constituency agenda, however I certainly don't
> mind if they are a members of a constituency.  I do believe that
> they should be from the DNSO however, and the DNSO should feel
> comfortable with their Board members.
>
> I believe our Board members should have integrity more than
> anything, although of course experience in policy issues, and
> an ability to defend one's ideas are also necessary.  I would
> prefer our board members to be mature and confident, while
> not being overbearing or egotistical.
Agreed.

> However senior the Board members we chose, I think they
> should have a healthy relationship with the Internet.  That is,
> they should be heavy users, be accustomed to getting 500 to
> 1000 emails a day and not be bothered.  They should be able to
> adapt to new technologies and new ways of doing business such
> that they can participate electronically, and feel at ease.
Agreed, while wondering if 500 to 1000 emails are must.... :-)

> I also feel our board members should speak more than
> one language, be able to write their own html pages, and
> understand how DNS works...  but there won't be a test
> so I can live without these requirements :-)
Also agreed, while wondering if "should" in the above sentence
might be replaced with "had better." These skills seem to be
less important than having DNSO-related experiences and firm
opinions.

> I think for the at large ICANN Board members, we can have
> senior policy members who may not be as close to the
> Internet but have experience in leadership and international
> policy making groups.  However, primarily, I believe we should
> fulfill our role as the Domain Name Supporting Organization,
> so our Board members should be very comfortable hanging out
> in the General Assembly during the coffee breaks...
>
> > I feel that we need ICANN Board members who do not come from a single
> > constituency or carry a constituency agenda.  I think we need senior peo
ple
> > with a proven record of dealing with high level policy issues who will be
> > able to debate the issues (advised by the DNSO through briefing papers and
> > discussions), and make objective decisions.
>
> Actually the DNSO should be advising all  ICANN board members,
> at least that is what we are supposed to be doing.
>
> > That's why I have nominated Carl Bildt for election.
>
> I have heard some very good things about Carl Bildt in the
> past couple days, although I do not know of him personally.
> I would like to know if he has any experience related to
> Domain Name issues specifically, also I don't believe he
> has accepted the nomination yet.
>
> > I would like to have a discussion about this on the NC - to help us inform
> > ourselves about who we should elect.
>
> I would be very interested in hearing everyone's opinions as well.
> I agree with Dennis that we should start discussing this, I think
> email is a suitable way to do so.  Any thoughts?
>
> Regards,
> Richard
> --
> _/_/_/interQ Incorporated