RE: [wg-e] Translations

Unfortunately, it seems most documents that come out of ICANN are legal in
nature, and so it will be difficult to expand translation service past 5 or
6 languages.  On the other hand, Diane's idea that ICANN could like to
translated versions which are done on a volunteer level regionally could
work.  The problem with volunteers is their commitment level - I am the
perfect example of that as this is my 2nd post to this list in 3 months
(something which will improve starting today).

I think officially, ICANN should have translation done into the UN official
languages, and then have links to unofficial translations done on a regional
level.  That way, we can get African dialects included, but not have to
choose who gets to be official or unofficial.  I think the key to unofficial
translations is funding.  If ICANN can provide some funding for unofficial
services (some sort of grant program), then it will probably work a bit more
efficiently than if it was dependent on unpaid volunteer efforts.

The other problem here is having these efforts coordinated at ICANN.  The
staff is already overworked and has no time to do this, but we need someone
to spend a few hours a week making sure this is done properly.

That is my 2 cents.

Josh