Re: [wg-d] "Interim Measures"

Brett,

Thank you for putting all this together. I will comment on each solution a
propose a new one.

>    (i)  Report that WG-C should continue its work, that the issues
>         with which it has been presented are very contentious, and
>         that any lack of movement is not surprising. Suggest that the
>         members of WG-C break into smaller groups with members who
>         have alligned positions and have each of the groups publish a
>         report to the GA for discussion and debate.

I tried to structure the working group at the beginning, and created three
different lists. The result was that everybody wanted to be in all lists
and then move the discussion to the group's main list. Any attempt to
maintain a structure was tilded as a fashist attempt by the chair to
control opinions. I don't think that this will work under the currect
structure, unless the chairs have the power to force the structure and kick
out of the list anybody who tries to change the subject to something
different to what the sub-group is supposed to work on.

>   (ii)  Report that WG-C should continue its work, that the issues
>         with which it has been presented are very contentious, and
>         that any lack of movement is not surprising. Suggest that the
>         leaders from various "factions" meet in real time, via
>         telephone or the net, to seek a compromise. Have any compromise
>         reported to the Working Group and GA to see if it has wider
>         approval.

The "factions" are either deffending their economical interests or a
non-profit model. There is little room for agreement, and it is not clear
that those participating in a teleconf would be more representative. I
believe tht this would not solve much, as the result would have to be
brough back to the whole group and the discussion would start again.

>  (iii)  Report that WG-C should continue its work, that the issues
>         with which it has been presented are very contentious, and
>         that any lack of movement is not surprising. Suggest that the
>         members of WG-C be given more time to find their way on their
>         own.

We have tried this already. The deadline of the group has been extended and
no progress has been made. The issues get off-topic very quickly. Any
attempt to re-center the discussion is either attacked or ignored.

>   (iv)  Report that the process issues themselves are very difficult
>         to resolve and suggest that WG-C, as well as all other WGs,
>         cease work until WG-D can submit its final proposal.

This does not solve the problem and it would be seen as an attempt to stop
the WG.

My proposal is:

(v)  Ask the working group to prepare -as the output of the WG- a report
with all the different views that have been presented in the discussions.
It is not the output that we would have desired, but it does not look like
we can go any further.

Javier