Re: [wg-d] NC Elections. Was: ga] DNSO General Assembly - Revised Agenda

On Wed, Aug 11, 1999 at 02:04:49PM -0400, Bret Fausett wrote:
[...]
> My reading is that the GA is empowered to nominate Board members, and I
> read into the quoted section "by whatever nomination mechanism it
> selects." I reached this conclusion because the language says "nominated
> by the GA," and not "nominated by a member of the GA." It's a nomination
> by the body, not its parts.

In my opinion your interpretation is incorrect.  "Nominated by a member
of the GA" is a legitimate meaning of "nominated by the GA".  If a body
has no structure, then that is the only reasonable meaning.

However, the bylaws state that nomination procedures will be
developed by the NC, and must be approved by the board:

  (d) The GA shall nominate, pursuant to procedures adopted by the NC
  and approved by the Board, persons to serve on the Board in those
  seats reserved for the DNSO.

Therefore, the obvious thing to do is to charter a working group to
develop those procedures...
[...]
> But all of this assumes that the GA has a mechanism for deciding what the
> nomination mechanism will be.

The mechanism for deciding policy is to form WGs or drafting or
research committees, and have the NC vote on the result.  A further
step is required in this case -- the ICANN Board has to approve the
result.