Re: [wg-d] Robert's Rules

Roberts Rules are not going to destroy us, but I still think they are a
bad idea.

I think I am with Kent Crispin, mostly, in favoring "loose" rules.
"Loose" rules are going to work most of the time.  What we need to do is
embed a few "tight" rules to deal with perceived dangers.  So what I
would suggest, before we run out and vote, and try to have a
conversation about what the dangers are -- we need "threat models".

*I think one threat model is people rushing to vote ;>.

* Another threat model is a chair claiming consensus while people are
distracted (the proliferation of sub-groups contributes to this). [The
hypo of the dishonest chair is also theoretically possible.]

* Another threat model is manipulation of the group mailing list, either
controlling access to it, delaying posts so that conversations can't
happen.

* Manipulation of the WG's terms of reference.

* Issues of who is in and out of the WG for nose-counting purposes (and
nose counting will matter if we include rules, as we should, that say a
report can't go forward if N total or M% of the members object).

* Crazies trying to torpedo the process.

* What to do in the face of vocal minorities or silent majorities.

Note that most of these threats are NOT fixed by Robert's rules....

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> > Agreed. Indeed, I put it to the vote.
> >
> > I move that we adopt Robert's Rules of Order as proposed by
> > Karl Auerbach. I request that Karl formalize his proposal.
>
> Thanks.  Now we need a second.  And there's nothing wrong with me doing
> that. ;-)
>
> So I second the motion.
>
> It's up to our chairs now to lead us through final wrap-up discussion and
> a measure of consensus or lack thereof (and thus a vote.)
>
> Assuming that the chair doesn't find consensus and calls for a vote, might
> I suggest that the voting period be the same as we used for the co-chair
> election?  (I'm raising this as discussion, not as a motion.  We do need
> to feel our way through this, especially as I don't think any of us are
> experienced parlimentarians.)
>
>                 --karl--

                -->   It's hot there.   I'm elsewhere.   <--