Re: [wg-c] CONSENSUS CALLS -- THIS IS IT

Hi,
	I don't know if the idea is to slowly seek consensus inch by inch,
which may mean slow but sure advance... in any case:

WRT item 1:
(initial rollout including generic AND chartered TLDs)
answer: Abstain/no-vote/don't care (choose which one suits better base on
        explanation)
        -Having chartered TLDs or not in the initial rollout doesn't bother
        me. I think that what most of us are pursuing (Eric Brunner is in
        the minority here) are GENERIC TLDs. Personally I am sceptical about
        enforcement of a charter, or who exactly you hand control of a
        chartered TLD to, think it would create more hassle than what it
        should resolve, and will only be workable/enforceable in a very
        small amount of cases. If it is deemed (how, by whom?) that the
        community of museums is happy with delegating a ".museum" to a given
        entity, then it's up to them... The group has to be large enough so
        as not to just become a way to avoid registration in generic TLDs,
        and there has to be good reasoning behind that. As you can see,
        AFAIK, these are VERY fuzzy concepts, which is why (as I say) I am
        sceptical of the idea. If a group comes forward and presents
        something that is credible, has consensus behind it, and looks as if
        it can work, then fine... Hence, I'm not bothered against
        introduction or not of chartered TLDs *IF* it's (relatively)
        painless. I give this explanation so as to show that if this item
        passes or fails on just 3 people voting for or against, then that's
        ok by me. I have no problem with it one way or another. Clear? :-)

WRT item 2:
answer: YES to consensus on the item.
        Problem: the concepts are far too vague to be useful IMHO. I feel
        that we might aswell gain consensus that "the internet is used to
        transmit data" or that "the sky is blue".

WRT item 3:
answer: YES if necessary.
        Problem: isn't this a technical problem with the current DNS? If so,
        why are we dealing with it? If the item is just to avoid confusion
        as to our role, then fine, let's formally say that it is beyond our
        scope. Just puzzled about this.

Resume:
If this is all we can do, then we're not doing much unfortunately.

Yours, John Broomfield.