Re: [wg-c] Proposed gTLDs: The IAHC Seven

> Just to bring closure to this, I'm 100% with Kent's recommendation for
> a round-robinning mechanism, or some other fairness mechanism, being
> instantiated to throttle the flood of potentially conflicting registrations
> from various registrars when the new TLDs go live.
>
> Now, someone please buy me a drink.  I just agreed with Kent, and I
> need one.
>
> --
> Mark C. Langston
> mark@bitshift.org
> Systems & Network Admin
> San Jose, CA

I am also in complete agreement that no previous registrations in any new
TLD that gets added to the legacy roots should be grandfathered in.
The only mechanism that seems fair would be a round-robin mechanism to flush
the queues at point 0 of when the TLD goes live. Whichever way it's done,
once the name of a new TLD is announced, there WILL be pressure on the
registrars (or the companies below the legal registrar) to build up waiting
lists, and most certainly somewhere someone WILL accept "queue-building" or
"preregistrations" or whatever you want to call it.

There's nothing stopping me from writing a script that interfaces to a
registrars' web-based registration page or generates email forms and
bombarding the said registrar which in turn will bombard the registry. Which
means that if no registrar does it upfront, then the activity will exist and
be underground.

Declaring illegal what is unenforceable is not worth the hassle.

Do I get a drink too?

Yours, John.