Re: [RE: [wg-c] Excellent suggestion from slashdot -- apparently not i n 10-23 report]

DoC's Becky Burr actually proposed that country code idea (banks.us) to me as
an option, though it still seems ergonomicaly a bit cumbersome. The idea for
the FDIC would be to have a controlled domain, the membership being literally
restricted to those with a charter, which would be easy to remember and
verify. Certainly, a chartered TLD would fit that bill, though I wonder if
unlimited TLDs could be another tower of babel.
If we did have a TLD, unlike other TLDs I see theorized on this list, it would
carry more meaning as it would be a guarantee of insurance coverage due to the
control we'd exercise.

In effect, unless the TLD is chartered, they would all become as meaningless
(maybe arbitrary is a better word) as .NET, for example.

Global banks, and there are getting to be more of them, might welcome a global
TLD that would reassure global customers, but would probably be the province
of the Bank of International Settlement, or some other global group.

Richard Campbell,
US FDIC
aka RCampbell@FDIC.GOV