Re: [wg-c] Choosing the intial testbed

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 12:19:48PM -0800, Mark C. Langston wrote:
> > Oh!  Just like domain names!
> > And when the registry goes rogue, or becomes incompetent, or their contract
> > expires or is broken, how do you propose we avoid the '98-'99 NSI
> > debacle?
>
> What do you do if your ISP gets flaky?

If you are running with your own domain-name, the fact that your ISP goes
flaky is a bother, but you change and its settled transparently.

> What do you do if your business has to move?

Mail forwarding?

> What do you do if your telephone number has to
> change?

Aha... Here is where it gets interesting. I don't know if you have noticed
the increasing trend worldwide where governments or telco oversight
institutions are obligating telcos to maintain their customers numbers even
when they migrate to different telcos (I imagine that for telcos, telephone
numbers are starting to be like domain names).
Today if you have an imposed telephone change it's bad luck and in many
cases very costly to business which is precisely why governments are forcing
telcos to co-operate in this way. Can't see why the same protection
shouldn't be afforded to the internet.

Yours, John Broomfield.