Re: [wg-c] Choosing the intial testbed

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Rick H Wesson wrote:
> a simple constraint for gTLD my be that they are *not* trademarkable for
> the purpose of being a gTLD.
>
> it might narrow the field a bit.

   Could be a rule for the initial testbed, but perhaps problematic in
the long run.  But more general, the issue isn't just about generics.
Other TLDs are also relevant.

   I personally don't see why AOL, with millions of customers, couldn't
have .aol.  Or my AT&T couldn't use .att, if they wanted to.

   Why not permit every ISP with a million or more customers to have a
TLD of their choice?  This could be a simple rule.   I'm sure there
would be complaints, but would it cause any harm?  It wouldn't hurt me.

   Jamie

James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
P.O. Box 19367        | http://www.cptech.org
Washington, DC 20036  | love@cptech.org
Voice 202/387-8030    | Fax 202/234-5176