Re: [wg-c] Choosing the intial testbed

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 12:19:48PM -0800, Mark C. Langston wrote:

> Oh!  Just like domain names!
>
> And when the registry goes rogue, or becomes incompetent, or their contract
> expires or is broken, how do you propose we avoid the '98-'99 NSI
> debacle?

What do you do if your ISP gets flaky?

What do you do if your business has to move?

What do you do if your telephone number has to
change?

I could go on and on, but the real answer is that
there is -no- system that can guarantee the
competence of any service provider. Best you can
do is have provider options, and possibly some
safety nets.

The only practical safety net proposed so far is
data escrow and a backup registry to take over
for a failed provider, but that's expensive. We'll
see how important this issue is when or if the bill
is presented :-)

David Schutt